Sunday, October 5, 2008

That was no ANT!

Tuesday night (Sept. 30th) I was stung by a sCoRiOn on my baby toe in the kitchen when I was locking up the house. I went back to get a glass of water and I didn't turn the light back on. My first reaction was, 'I just got bit by an ant' (a big ant) but by the time I took the two steps to turn on the light I thought 'OWWW- That Was No Ant!' The little scorpion came running at me, the pain seared and I called for John to help. But he was sleeping and didn't hear me. So I ran and grabbed a shoe and killed the nasty little bugger. The affects were already taking over my leg. I crawled upstairs and woke up John. When he finally figured out what I was saying he ran downstairs to look for more (with the black light) He got me ice and water (since I never did get any) and some Advil. He brought the flashlight (blacklight) upstairs and shined it everywhere we went. It was a long night, but since I wasn't frothing at the mouth or experiencing blurred vision or paralysis (the symtoms to watch for!!!) I just hung out at home all night.
John has become the sCorPioN hUnTer! He has gone scorpion hunting every night since and has actually found a a lot of them- which really doesn't make me feel any better. But I guess at least there are less and less each night! SO if you see lights flashing around my yard, you'll know it is John on a hunt!
The blessings (in disguise); at least it was me and not one of my kids. And I would rather it be a scorpion, whose venom is a nuero-toxin (attacks the nerves) than a black widow or brown recluse whose bites are nasty with after effects that are nasty. Hense my acrachnophbia. Also I know a lot more about scorpions. (more than I ever wanted to!)

4 comments:

Todd and Aubree said...

CUTE blog and even cuter kiddos. It is so fun to see them grow especially since we are not there. About that scorpion...yikes. Keep us posted!

Alisha said...

i can't believe you have scorpions!! creepy. i haven't seen one yet since i've moved here.

Nettie said...

Oh my gosh! I found a scorpion in my kitchen about a year ago and it freaked me out. Then last week, we found another one in the kitchen, and that night the kids woke me up because they got up to go to the bathroom and there was another one in their way. The next morning ANOTHER ONE. I layed in bed in the middle of the night, looking up scorpion killers on my iphone. I was so unbelievably scared. I kept reading about them dropping from the ceiling. My nephew works for a scorpion hunter/killer place, so he came and sprayed. It doesn't really work that good. I haven't seen any since, but since there was a year inbetween the two sitings, I'm not convinced they're dead. They told me to get a black light, but I SO DON'T WANT TO GO LOOK FOR THEM! I'd have to check into a hotel. It's time's like these I wish I had a husband. I'm so glad you're ok. I think I would be permanantly psychologically damaged if I were you. You're brave!

Dizzy Kate said...

I haven't seen any scorpians yet, but that is REALLY freakin' me out! Sorry you got stung. Ouch!